Family is an Election Issue
This is the second of three studies of fundamental Christian perspectives of any election. The last study considered Faith is an Election Issue. The next study will consider Freedom is an Election Issue. I do not advocate for a person or political party, as these become irrelevant when voting for God’s perspective of the fundamental issues being decided in an election. You must prayerfully cast your vote. Your responsibility is 1 Timothy 2.1-2.
Why the ‘family’?
- Author/speaker Earl Nightingale observed that the offspring of humans are the only ones in nature that require multiple years to become capable of providing for themselves.
- This is as God designed for at least a couple of reasons. The first is understood through Apostle Paul’s likening us grouped together as the body of Christ (Romans 12.5 and 1 Corinthians 12.27). Thus, we are family!
- The second is His assignment to man in Genesis 1.28. Other created animals take ‘dominion’ of their surroundings in a matter of weeks and months because their scope is small. Man, however, is to ‘subdue’ and have ‘dominion’ over ‘every living thing that moves about on the earth.’
- That is, according to whose rules and to produce what end result?
- The deception of Genesis 3.4-5 juxtaposes ‘me, now’ versus God for the duration He has determined. He reformed the earth of Genesis 1.2 and will again, as He reveals in Joel 2.30-31, Matthew 24.29, and Revelation 6.12-17.
- So, man is to nurture raw materials in the earth and to acquire these from the earth to fashion into support for the life and purpose of man on earth during his generations of its duration. He is to ‘husband’ the fruits and crops and meats and the air and water that build strong bodies and minds for this existence only.
- Notice that man is not to abuse or deplete the resources for ‘me, now’.
- This must be learned…over time. Thus, Exodus 2.9 can be read as God’s instructions to the wife and mother to instill and nurture this. Equally important, Genesis 18.19 can be read as God’s instructions to the husband and father about the child’s vertical relationship, with God. Note from Deuteronomy 6.1-9 that inculcated belief in and obedience to God are to be practiced in every area of ‘dominion’ – personal, family, friends, property, and vocation – throughout man’s length of days.
- This is the revelation of King David’s Psalm 8.1-9! Notice that David’s focus is on the ‘individual’. Notice, too, the reason in verse 2, to ‘silence the enemy and the avenger.’ This is the part of ‘dominion’ that explains satan’s attacks on the family; he wants to stop the person from controlling himself!
Attacks on the ‘family’
- Disaggregating and marginalizing the family ultimately defeats the individual. Dysfunction replaces order. Disunity within the protected environment leads to suspicion and ‘me-ism’. How does the 19th Amendment (Suffrage for Women) to the US Constitution illustrate this?
- Generations of ‘me-ism’ have resulted in phenomena like no fault divorce (Mark 10.1-9), latch-key children, shelters for homelessness women and children, government welfare, and food stamps (1 Timothy 5.4, 8, 16).
- Generations of ‘me-ism’ have resulted in the horror of early and late-term abortions, contrary to Exodus 20.13, Psalm 127.3 and 139.13. You have seen the rise of Planned Parenthood, embryonic stem-cell research, and abortifacients. Have you considered that God might have planned for the aborted fetus to bring His solution to some disease or hunger or to be the next ‘Billy Graham’?
- Likewise, how is euthanizing old persons similar to Jesus’ teaching in Matthew 15.3-6? Note the ‘me-ism’ in Jesus’ example.
- Generations of ‘me-ism’ have resulted in homosexuality and bestiality, contrary to Leviticus 18.22-23. Federal laws defining marriage as between one man and one woman were passed in 1996 but overturned in 2012. Why are civil unions, domestic partnerships, and sex-change surgery aberrant to God?
- All of these illustrations of ‘me-ism’ rebellion from God’s authority are the ‘enemies’ and ‘avenger’ that David wrote about in the Psalm 8.2. Properly raised children silence them with God’s righteousness from the Bible!
Will you stand with God against satan’s attacks on the family and the individual it is supposed to nurture? How will others know?
Praise God!!! Copyright by Maurice L. Painter. 2012. www.sozoclass.com