Understanding the Homosexual Movement
The time has come for Christians to take a stand against the homosexual movement as individuals and in groups. Non-Christians are looking to us who know what we believe and why. We must not shrink back in the face of challenge! I discuss my reasons for this in the following paragraphs and conclude with a position statement that I encourage for personal and corporate adoption. I offer this with love for Jesus-followers and others of varying philosophies (1 John 2.9-11; Colossians 4.5-6), with disdain for the satanic philosophies that deceive those denying John 14.6, with an ‘Ambassador-of-Christ’ understanding of reconciliation of all sinners to the only Savior (2 Corinthians 5.20-21), and with the urgency of a ‘watchman’ in these last days (Ezekiel 3.17-19). I invite you to imitate me only as I imitate Christ (1 Corinthians 11.1) and to tell me when you observe otherwise in my lifestyle. As for the United States of America, she has cast the dice, and they have come up snake eyes!
A. The Agenda
1. “[T]he same-sex marriage movement is interested in a great deal more than just the freedom to form marital unions. It is also interested, quite keenly, in punishing dissenters. But the ambitions of the movement go further than that, even. It’s about revisiting legal notions of freedom of speech and association, constitutional protections for religious freedom, and cultural norms concerning the family. And most Americans are only just realizing that these are the societal compacts that have been pried open for negotiation.” (1)
2. Last quoting Jay Michaelson in the Daily Beast: “’Radicals point out that gay liberation in the 1970s was, as the name implies, a liberation movement. It was about being free, questioning authority, rebellion, ‘2-4-6-8, smash the church and smash the state’, people shouted.’” (1)
3. Continuing from Michaelson: “’This fact [that half of gay marriages surveyed in San Francisco were not strictly monogamous] is well-known in the gay community—indeed, we assume it’s more like three-quarters. But it’s been fascinating to see how my straight friends react to it. Some feel they’ve been duped: They were fighting for marriage equality, not marriage redefinition. Others feel downright envious, as if gays are getting a better deal, one that wouldn’t work for straight couples…Is non-monogamy one of the things same-sex marriages can teach straight ones…?’” (1)
4. “‘And now on to polygamy’ urged …the Economist? ‘Why shouldn’t it be legal for more than two consenting adults to marry each other?’” (1)
5. “Changing marriage beyond recognition has long been a stated goal of the organization Beyond Marriage, which is a collection of several hundred gay-rights lawyers, law professors, and activists. They argue that same-sex marriage is merely the first step on the path to redefining the family itself.” (1)
6. “Next up on the [Supreme Court] docket are transgender rights…and polyamory. Then the push to bring religious organizations—schools, charities, and para-church groups—to heel will intensify.” (1)
7. Last quoting Jonathan Rauch: “’Why should this distinction [of a final acceptance of inter-racial marriage] matter today, if both kinds of discrimination [racial and homosexual] are wrong? Because asking people to give up history’s traditional understanding of marriage is a big ask. You don’t expect thousands of years of unquestioned moral and social tradition to be relinquished overnight.’” (1)
8. “This determination from the same-sex marriage activists is, in its own way, an admission of their bait-and-switch tactics: they realize that they have not persuaded society of the rightness of the revolution they actually seek.” (1)
B. The Impact
1. “[T]he common pattern of family decline in ancient Greece and the Roman Empire [was over] seven stages [that] parallel what is happening in our nation today”, writes Kerby Anderson from the pattern of family decline common in ancient Greece and the Roman Empire as identified in Carl Wilson’s book, Our Dance Has Turned to Death, as follow. (2)
2. “In the first stage, men ceased to lead their families in worship. Spiritual and moral development became secondary. Their view of God became naturalistic, mathematical, and mechanical.”
3. “In the second stage, men selfishly neglected care of their wives and children to pursue material wealth, political and military power, and cultural development. Material values began to dominate thought, and the man began to exalt his own role as an individual.”
4. “The third stage involved a change in men’s sexual values. Men who were preoccupied with business or war either neglected their wives sexually or became involved with lower-class women or with homosexuality. Ultimately, a double standard of morality developed.”
5. “The fourth stage affected women. The role of women at home and with children lost value and status…Soon they revolted to gain access to material wealth and also freedom for sex outside marriage. Women also began to minimize having sex relations to conceive children and the emphasis became sex for pleasure. Marriage laws were changed to make divorce easy.”
6. “In the fifth stage, husbands and wives competed against each other for money, home leadership, and the affection of their children. This resulted in hostility and frustration and possible homosexuality in the children…The more undisciplined children became, the more social pressure there was not to have children. The breakdown of the home produced anarchy.”
7. “In the sixth stage, selfish individualism grew and carried over into society, fragmenting it into smaller and smaller group loyalties. The nation was thus weakened by internal conflict. The decrease in the birthrate produced an older population that had less ability to defend itself and less will to do so, making the nation more vulnerable to its enemies.”
8. “Finally, unbelief in God became more complete, parental authority diminished, and ethical and moral principles disappeared, affecting the economy and government. Thus, by internal weakness and fragmentation the societies came apart. There was no way to save them except by a dictator who arose from within or by barbarians who invaded from without.”
9. Anderson’s conclusion: “Families are the foundation of a nation. When the family crumbles, the nation falls because nations are built upon family units.” (2)
C. The Effect
1. Joseph Daniel (J.D.) Unwin (1895-1936) was a British ethnologist and anthropologist at Oxford and Cambridge Universities. In his 1934 book, Sex and Culture, he writes about his research with 80 primitive tribes and six known civilizations over a period of 4,000 years. He discovered a connection between cultural achievement and sexual restraint: societies that practiced heterosexual monogamy were more successful. (3)
2. “Unwin concluded that the fabric that holds a society together is sexual in nature. When life-long heterosexual monogamous relationship is practiced, the focus is on the nurture of the family and energy is expended to protect, plan for, and build up the individual family unit. This extends to the entire society and produces a strong society focused on preserving the strength of the family. However, he found that when sexual opportunities opened the door to pre-marital, post-marital, and homosexual relationships, the social energy always dissipated as the individual focused more on self-gratification rather than societal good.” (4)
3. “He found that when strict heterosexual monogamy was practiced, the society attained its greatest cultural energy, especially in the arts, sciences and technology. But as people rebelled against the prohibitions placed upon them and demanded more sexual opportunities, there was a consequent loss of their creative energy, which resulted in the decline and eventual destruction of the civilization. Remarkably, he did not find any exception to this trend.” (4)
4. “The cultural condition of a society rises in exact proportion as it imposes pre-nuptial and post-nuptial restraints upon sexual opportunity.” (5)
5. “‘In human records there is no instance of a society retaining its energy after a complete new generation has inherited a tradition which does not insist on pre-nuptial and post-nuptial continence….Sadly, the polls show millennials overwhelmingly reject a monogamous sexual ethic.” (6)
1. Homosexuality will bring about the downfall of the United States of America. In Daniel 7.4, the prophet sees the offspring of England loosing its strength. It is just a matter of time until America’s wings of freedom and faith are finally clipped! There is no further allusion to the United States in the Scriptures after Daniel.
2. While God will exclude from His kingdom people who are “sexually immoral,.. idolaters,…adulterers,…men who practice homosexuality,…thieves,…the greedy,…drunkards,…revilers, [or] swindlers”, only the practice of homosexuality has historically caused Him to destroy cities and displace people. (1 Corinthians 6.9-10) Remember Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 19.5); the Benjamites at Gibeah (Judges 19.22+); the Amorites, Canaanites, Girgashites, Hittites, Hivites, Jebusites, and Perizzites of The Promised Land (Leviticus 18.22-29); and probably the peoples before the Flood (Genesis 6.5). Remember from Anderson and Unwin, above, that tribes and civilizations ceased to thrive or to exist because of homosexuality; they did not have God’s help.
3. Because of God’s pending judgment on aberrant philosophies, including homosexuality, Paul warned the Greeks at Mars Hill in Athens: “The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead.” (Acts 17.30-31; ESV)
4. “In the opening chapter of the Apostle Paul’s letter to the church in Rome, he traces a similar progression. In fact, Romans 1 shows the decline of a civilization from a societal perspective. Looking at the Hellenistic world of his time, he reflects on the progression of sin in a nation…The first stage is when people turn from God to idolatry…The second stage is when men and women exchange their natural use of sex for unnatural uses…The third stage is anarchy…This results in a society which is without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, and unmerciful…The final stage is…God’s judgment rightly fall[ing] upon those who practice idolatry and immorality.” (2)
5. “Notice that this progression is not unique to the Hellenistic world the Apostle Paul was living in. The progression from idolatry to sexual perversion to anarchy to judgment is found throughout history.” (2)
6. This is the devolution discussed by God in Jeremiah 13.10: when people walk in their imaginations and away from His instructions, satan comes quickly to lead them ever deeper into perversion. “The political, economic, and social problems we encounter are the symptoms of the spiritual deterioration of a nation.” (2)
Titus 2.7-8, ESV: “Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us.”
1 Corinthians 9.19-23. Engage the culture as led by the Holy Spirit (Romans 8.14), Whose role is to convict the lost and dying world of loving wickedness instead of righteousness (John 16.8-9).
2 Timothy 4.2-5! Be ready, for people will want teachers that agree with their immorality. “The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” (7)
Stand in support of Jesus-followers who become persecuted because of His name and word or are tempted to abandon their faith in exchange for the lures of the dying world. (Matthew 10.21-22; 13.18-23; Hebrews 6.4-6; 1 John 2.15-17)
Warn the worldly that the signs of Jesus’ return to judge those following philosophies, including homosexuality, are evident. (2 Timothy 3.1-7; Galatians 5.19-21)
Expect to hear the Voice of Revelation 4.1 any day now! Luke 21.28!
F. Position Statement
“King Solomon observed that “[r]ighteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people.” (Proverbs 14.34) The destruction of the family and church planned by the homosexual Hydra demands that Jesus-followers recommit themselves to righteousness (Hosea 14.9) and to listening to and obeying the Holy Spirit (Isaiah 30.21; Romans 8.14) as He crosses our paths (Isaiah 55.5) with people looking for hope in a world devolving into anarchy around them. They hear and see panderers calling evil as good and darkness as light in their deluded wisdom (Isaiah 5.20-21) and inwardly know that what they hear and see is not truth (John 14.6; Isaiah 45.22). Further, the destructive homosexual agenda demands that we expose the deeds of darkness (Ephesians 5.11-13). This should be done from love, not judgment (1 John 2.9-11; 1 Timothy 1.5). But, it should done with the firm warning of pending judgment by God (Acts 17.30-31) and the condemnation of homosexuals to separation from God eternally (Revelation 21.8).
This, we will prayerfully and humbly do, so help us, God!”
Praise God!!! Copyright © by Maurice L. Painter, 2015. www.sozoclass.com
 Last, Jonathan V. (June 22, 2015). You will be assimilated: The same-sex marriage bait-and-switch. The Weekly Standard. Vol. 20, No. 39. Retrieved from http://www.weeklystandard.com/print/articles/you-will- be-assimilated_969581.html
 Anderson, K. (1991) The decline of a nation. Probe Ministries. Retrieved from http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/probe/docs/decline.html
 Unwin, J. (1934). Sex and Culture. Retrieved from https://archive.org/details/b20442580.
 Janosik, D. (Spring 2012) “The Fate of Culture in J. D. Unwin’s ‘Sex and Culture’”. Christian Apologetics Journal. Vol. 10.1. Retrieved from http://factn.org/societal-success-and-restraint-j-d-unwin/.
 Huxley, A. (1946). “Ethics” in Ends and Means. Chatto & Windus, p. 312. Retrieved from http://factn.org/societal-success-and-restraint-j-d-unwin/.
 Fowler, D. (March 20, 2014). Same-sex marriage ruling washes away values we hold dear. Retrieved from http://factn.org/same-sex-marriage-ruling-washes-away-values-we-hold-dear/.
 Orwell, G. Retrieved from http://www.goodreads.com/…/673583-the-further-a-society-drifts-from-the-truth.html.