Don’t Quench the Holy Spirit
Apostle Paul includes this imperative in the closing paragraph of his first letter to believers in Thessalonica (1.5.19). Literally, Paul admonishes us to not douse with water the fire that describes the Holy Spirit in Acts 2.3-4. The reason for this is the picture in and reality of Ephesians 3.10-12: we are to make known to “the rulers and the authorities in the heavenly places” the “manifold wisdom of God”! This is the result of 2 Corinthians 10.5 leading to 2 Corinthians 5.20 and Paul’s fulfillment of Acts 26.16-18. Further, Paul presents the role and responsibility of the Holy Spirit in Ephesians 3.14-21 for effecting the “manifold wisdom of God”. Consequently, we understand the reason for not quenching or diminishing the Holy Spirit.
A. So that…
- The last clause of Ephesians 3.19 expresses His goal for you: to “be filled up to all the fullness of God.” This is important because Jesus is our Head; so, His body (of believers) must be like Him (Ephesians 1.22-23). “Fullness” is the complete measure of maturity for believers equipped with Jesus’ knowledge and faith (Ephesians 4.11-13) for which we strive.
- Paul gives us stair steps in Ephesians 3.16-21 that I have connected vertically with the words “so that”; that is, each building upon the previous. The foundation step is the strengthening “with power” (verse 15) of the ‘real’ person, our “inner man (“male and female”; Genesis 5.2), by the Holy Spirit. Paul discusses this power in 1 Corinthians 2.5 and 2 Corinthians 4.7 and 7. Therein, he desires that our power be that of God within us (John 17.21-23; to reveal God). Only God’s power in Jeremiah could “pluck up and break down, destroy and overthrow” satan’s kingdom and “build and plant” the Kingdom of God (Jeremiah 1.10)! The same is true for us.
- This “power” is ours so that the Anointing (the meaning of Christ; Colossians 1.26-27; 1 John 2.27) may fill our minds, so that we may be “rooted and grounded” in God’s teachings (Ephesians 3.16-17). The “Anointing” secures us against the storms of relative philosophies and other of satan’s schemes (Ephesians 4.14-16; Colossians 2.8-10). “Love” is defined in John 14.15, 1 John 5.3, and 2 John 1.6 as obedience to God’s commands. Remember the reward of Jeremiah 7.23!
- From Ephesians 3.18, we are to be “rooted and grounded” in “love” so that we can “comprehend” the totality of God (Jeremiah 9.23-24; Hebrews 11.3, 6; Genesis 1.1; Isaiah 43.10-11, 22)! How big is your God? Consider that His house in Revelation 21.9-27 is 1,500 miles in length, width, and height! That is where believers in John 14.6 will dwell with Jesus eternally! Can you “comprehend” this?
- In Ephesians 3.19, we are to “comprehend” the totality of God so that our Anointing (1 John 2.27) will be greater than all knowledge (the “light” of John 1.9: cosmological logos and epistemological logos: the complete knowledge of mankind)!
- We climb these upward stairs with the “strength” of the Holy Spirit so that we may arrive at the “fullness of God” (Ephesians 3.19). You have all of this potential within you! So, do not quench the Holy Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5.19)!
B. How do we quench the Holy Spirit?
- By emphasizing Jeremiah 9.23 over 24;
- By turning away from God to follow a devolving imagination (Jeremiah 13.10);
- By not “asking, seeking, or knocking” as Jesus encourages in Matthew 7.7-11; and
- By not hearing and/or obeying what the Holy Spirit tells us (James 1.5-8).
C. The Results of an Unquenchable Holy Spirit.
- As Paul concludes in Ephesians 3.20-21 NASB: “Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us [i.e., the Anointing of God’s Holy Spirit within us; John 1.12], to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.”
- Isaiah 64.4 acclaims similarly.
And, thus, we make known to “the rulers and the authorities in the heavenly places” the “manifold wisdom of God” (Ephesians 3.10-12)!
Praise God!!! Copyright © by Maurice L. Painter, 2016. www.sozoclass.com